Monday 1st February, 2021 07:00 AM - Sunday 28th February, 2021 09:00 PM
As part of the Healthier Eating and Active Living priority, G21 is encouraging the community to Choose Water Everyday.
The health campaign aims to increase water consumption across the G21 region, which has approximately 324,000 people.
In making water the drink of choice as the weather heats up, the campaign hopes to decrease the consumption of sugary and sweetened beverages.
As well as drinking water, the G21 Health and Wellbeing Pillar wants to promote regular physical activity and healthy eating habits in South-West Victoria.
WHY IS WATER BEST?
Water is the best choice for keeping your body hydrated. It has no added sugar, no kilojoules and is not fizzy, making it much better for your teeth and your waistline. Soft drinks are highly acidic and this, along with high levels of added sugar, can damage teeth and lead to tooth decay.
Drinking soft drinks and other drinks with added sugar, can lead to putting on excess weight or becoming obese, which may increase your risk of developing type 2 diabetes, heart disease and some cancers.
Keeping your body hydrated is essential for good health. Dehydration can lead to feelings of tiredness, thirst, weakness, lethargy, as well as your senses becoming weak, and your psychological reaction times becoming impaired.
- Choose water everyday
- Water is the healthiest option
- Stay healthy, stay hydrated
- If you are concerned about your weight or wanting to stay at a healthy weight, every soft drink you consume adds excess kilojoules. Swap from soft drink to water to reduce your kilojoules from drinks to zero!
- Drink water to look after you teeth. Soft drinks are acidic and can cause tooth decay. Diet soft drinks are just as acidic, and have the same effect on tooth decay. Choose water to keep your healthy glowing smile!
- Hydration helps improve energy levels and brain function.
- Save money. Water from the tap is much cheaper than buying soft drinks, so every time you choose water you save money!
- Water helps to maximise physical performance. Water is the best drink for re-hydrating while playing all sport activity lasting less than 90 minutes.
WANT TO KNOW MORE?