The Bannockburn Growth Plan (Growth Plan) has been prepared and local residents and businesses are invited to have their say on the strategic document that will guide the sustainable growth of Bannockburn to the year 2050.
The Growth Plan identifies where and when future housing will be developed and what infrastructure is needed to support the growing community, such as roads and community facilities, and land for employment and retail.
This will provide certainty to the local community about what changes to expect in Bannockburn in the next 30 years.
Development of a Bannockburn Growth Plan is an element of the G21 Regional Growth Areas Priority Project.
Bannockburn is one of the fastest growing towns in regional Victoria and in the future will face a shortage of available land to develop for new houses.
The Victorian Planning Authority (VPA) has been appointed planning authority for the Growth Plan, which will deliver 6,000 additional homes and approximately 18,000 new residents in the south of the town, significantly increasing the population of Golden Plains Shire.
The Growth Plan has been prepared in consultation with Golden Plains Shire Council, government agencies and the community. It has also been informed by technical background documents such as a biodiversity assessment and drainage catchment assessment.
Earlier this year the VPA and Golden Plains Shire Council hosted local engagement activities and a community survey that was mailed to all households and businesses in Bannockburn.
With quality input from 394 people, the feedback from the Bannockburn community identified key priorities that are reflected in the Growth Plan under the themes of Housing & Community Infrastructure, Economy & Employment, Environment & Water, and Transport & Movement.
The Growth Plan:
- Identifies areas for future housing development to accommodate projected population growth to the year 2050.
- Identifies locations for industrial land to support local jobs.
- Reinforces the existing Bannockburn Town Centre as the main retail centre and proposes a second local town centre in the south of the town.
- Identifies opportunities for new walking and cycling connections.
- Identifies ways that new development can respond to the existing character of the town.
- Advocates for investment in improved public transport connections.
- Identifies potential community infrastructure that will be required to service population growth.
- Sets a vision for sustainable development and sustainable water use.
Residents, landowners, and other affected community members are now invited to make submissions on the Growth Plan and accompanying draft planning scheme amendment documents.
To read the Bannockburn Growth Plan, visit engage.vic.gov.au/bannockburn-growth-plan. The full set of draft planning scheme amendment documents, frequently asked questions and instructions on how to make a submission are also available at this webpage.