The Pillar met on May 7 2021 at 10am.
- Update from Giulia Baggio on the current Board review of pillars and strategic priorities.
- Significant housing affordability issues being experienced in coastal towns such as Lorne and Apollo Bay, with businesses and other organisations (eg Health and Education) currently unable to recruit staff due to lack of available affordable rental housing. Population movements since COVID have exacerbated an already critical situation. Councils and communities seeking Government support.
- Panel hearing of submissions for the Torquay Distinctive Area Landscape (DAL) not yet complete, but report expected to Minister in the next few months. Several Surf Coast Shire strategic planning projects, including an amendment for the Winchelsea town centre, are on hold until this outcome is known.
- The Bellarine DAL process is behind schedule and will require a Ministerial extension of time.
- The Great Ocean Road Authority will soon be preparing a Strategic Framework Plan for the Great Ocean Road region which will have implications for township structure planning undertaken by Councils.
- The Bannockburn Growth Plan report has been completed by the Victorian Planning Authority (VPA) as the responsible authority. Work on the Precinct Structure Plan and Development Contributions Plan are soon to commence.
- Amendment C95 to the Greater Geelong Planning Scheme was recently gazetted by the Planning Minister, implementing a Settlement Boundary for Geelong, including the Northern and Western Growth Areas. This establishes firm direction for residential housing in Geelong over the next 10-15 years. The PSPs for the Northern and Western Growth areas are proceeding.
- Work is proceeding on the draft Avalon Corridor Plan. Noise contours have been established for the airfield and further work is occurring with agencies prior to community engagement in a few months.
- Colac Otway Shire is commencing an Outline Development Plan and Development Contributions Plan for the Deans Creek priority residential growth area in Colac and requires supporting Government funding to enable this work to proceed. It was noted there is a significant shortage of available land to meet the growing demand which is raising land values and constraining growth, and causing this to be Council’s number one priority.
- A Master Plan for the Apollo Bay Harbour redevelopment was adopted by Colac Otway Shire in December 2020, with Stage 1 of the redevelopment currently being implemented via the City Deal funding. Works are currently in the design phase and are expected to commence late in 2021.
- The Rural Peri-Urban Advisory Committee has not recently been active, but expressions of interest will soon be sent to Councils concerning their representation.
- DELWP indicated that Regional Planning Hubs are being established to support rural and regional Councils undertake strategic and statutory planning when required, and that this will be announced formally by the Government in the near future.
- There may be an opportunity for a coordinated approach to land supply monitoring across the region at such time as a refresh of the Regional Growth Plan is undertaken.
- There is a small DELWP team continuing to work on the Moolap Coastal Strategic Framework Plan, with public consultation planned in 3-4 months.
- It was noted the Queenscliffe Heritage Strategy had been completed and incorporated successfully into the Planning Scheme.
- Agreement that Affordable Housing needs to be a priority pillar project, and that work needs to occur to investigate how G21 can provide support in this area to address.
- Briefings to be sought at future meetings from DELWP on the Regional Planning Hubs & in respect of Affordable Housing.
Projects for focus during the year include:
- Social & Affordable Housing, with an emphasis on key worker housing in coastal areas.
- Great Ocean Road Strategic Framework Plan.
August 2 2021 – 10.00 am – 12.00pm via teams.