The Pillar met on 16 February, 9.00 am via Zoom.
- Update on Regional Transport Projects for 2021 Budget – William Tieppo, Deputy Secretary, Department of Transport.
- Geelong Integrated Transport Plan – Guy Wilson-Browne and Debbie Leeson-Rabbie from City of Greater Geelong.
- Clarification on the progress of the Geelong fast rail and expected outcome including velocity train safety measures and upgrades required to the line. Key areas of note for the region:
- The faster services will only run during peak hour and not all the time as many have assumed.
- With all stages completed (inc. Geelong Tunnel) the project will deliver 6 trains in peak – not a massive shift for Geelong Station which currently runs 5 services but will add services for Waurn Ponds through to South Geelong.
- Of the 6 services, 50% will run via the Werribee corridor. The other 50% through Wyndham vale.
- Duplication of South Geelong to Waurn Ponds to commence in 2022 through to 2024 (EOI went out in January).
- Enabling works for Werribee corridor to commence in 2023.
- Geelong Tunnel project not yet at business case and timeline for completion obviously not established. Without this section resolved – No 6th service can be achieved.
- Progress on the Armstrong Creek transit corridor.
- Update on the active transport cycling and walking track plans for the region.
- Discussion around the importance of having an integrated transport plan for the region that aligns with all councils and committees across the region to allow for a more powerful presence when approaching government for funding.
Projects for focus during the year include:
- Regional rail connections
- G21 regional road connections
- G21 Integrated Transport Strategy
- Centre for Transport and mobility trials and innovation
- Geelong railway station redevelopment
- Great ocean road upgrade
- Queenscliff to Sorrento ferry terminal
- Transport connection to Avalon airport
- Transport links to Melbourne
We will continue to advocate across these with a strong focus on developing the G21 region Integrated Transport Plan and exploring the opportunities for innovation and trials for our region.