The Pillar met on October 12, 2021, via zoom.
- Department of Transport Regional Update – Michael Tudball, Regional Director Barwon South West, DOT
- Integrated Transport Strategy progress update – Jess Harris, Project Manager, Integrated Transport Strategy
- G21 Priority Project and Pillar review – Giulia Baggio, G21 CEO
- Introduction to the new Regional Director- Barwon South West region, Michael Tudball who also provided an update on current transport projects underway within the region as reflected in the 2021-2022 budget (and explained in further detail during the June Pillar meeting)
- Following Michael’s presentation there was a pillar discussion on the importance of an integrated transport approach and prioritizing bike lanes and bus lanes when planning major road developments in the region. Pillar members expressed concerns with the lack of active transport projects within the region and the missed opportunities within current projects to incorporate active transport pathways. Michael expressed his keen desire to work with the councils and pillar members to develop an integrated approach for the region.
- Jess Harris provided an update on the Integrated Transport Strategy, and it was noted:
- Urbis has been appointed as the project consultant.
- Stakeholder engagement starts in November.
- Urbis has begun to collect relevant data from across the region.
- The strategy will be completed by mid-2022.
- The technical reference group is being formed and pillar members were invited to volunteer.
Pillar members requested some further information on Urbis and Jess advised that she would
provide further detail at the December meeting.
- Giulia provided an update on the refreshed G21 Priority Projects for the region. Feedback from the group was positive, with pillar members praising the sustainable initiatives and priority on active transport for the region. It was noted that some pillar members expressed concerns with the bus network in our region and highlighted the need to focus on this area to support the rapid growth within our region.
- There was a brief discussion on the Principal Bicycle Network with concerns raised that active transport planning for our region is not referring to the PBN. It was noted this item would be discussed in further detail at a later meeting.
Projects for focus during the year include:
- Regional rail connections
- G21 regional road connections
- G21 Integrated Transport Strategy
- Centre for Transport and mobility trials and innovation
- Geelong railway station redevelopment
- Great ocean road upgrade
- Queenscliff to Sorrento ferry terminal
- Transport connection to Avalon airport
- Transport links to Melbourne
The pillar will strongly focus on developing the G21 Integrated Transport Strategy while continuing to advocate across key project priorities and exploring the opportunities for innovation for our region.
Next Meeting: 14 December, 2021, via zoom