Avalon Airport is Victoria’s second airport and a major state asset.
The airport has a new $50 million, 7,000m2 international terminal, Australian Border Force and quarantine services, and a logistics precinct with direct access to major road, rail and GeelongPort.
Its proximity to the Great Ocean Road, Bellarine Peninsula and cities of Geelong and Melbourne makes it an attractive arrival point for tourists.
Prior to COVID, Avalon was expanding its connection to international markets, driving significant activity in G21’s visitor economy and freight industry.
Avalon Airport is seeking Victorian and Commonwealth Government support for a new station at Avalon on the Geelong-Melbourne line.
Further opportunities include expansion of freight, engineering and maintenance services, a retail and commercial precinct and spin-off events associated with the Australian International Airshow.
What G21 needs
Required from Victorian Government
- A new station at Avalon on the Geelong-Melbourne line. This will facilitate domestic and international passenger growth. Include this project in the Geelong Fast Rail Study.
- Secure the Australian International Airshow beyond 2025.
- Co-invest in a commercial/retail precinct.
- Marketing support to attract additional airlines to Avalon Airport.
Required from Commonwealth Government
- Standardisation of Airservices’ charges and services, to be consistent with those at Melbourne Airport.
- Expansion of border agencies as the airport grows.
A commitment to embed GROW training, employment and procurement principles in all government projects within the region.